- [Narrator] Once upon a time in merry England, there lived a boy from nowhere and a girl from the other side of the world.
- "Tom Jones" is a story about a young man who ends up going on an adventure to find and save his true love.
- Unfortunately, there is a little obstacle.
My niece is an heiress.
- She was promised to me.
(gentle music) - It's a coming of age story about love, betrayal, family.
- I do not consent to this match.
You silly girl.
- The colliding of two worlds.
- [Sophia] Don't you want me to be happy?
- I want you to be rich and safe.
- Very unfortunately for him and for Sophia, he's perceived as an unsuitable match.
- Can a man ever be a gentleman who doesn't know who his father is?
- Here is the foundling child, brought up in the countryside.
- He just arrives at the estate.
They don't know where this baby's come from.
- [Squire Allworthy] Look at his little face.
- You're never going to keep him.
- Tom Jones is seen as the golden child.
Blifil and Tom, they're complete antitheses of each other, so they clash.
- Your birth condemns you.
- Whilst sort of remaining in period, it feels current.
- You don't wanna be giving your heart to a bad boy.
- [Sophia] He doesn't seem at all bad to me.
He doesn't look at me as though I'm some kind of exotic flower.
- I love that it's being revisited.
- Let's drink to love.
- [Pearl] You have these big characters with big personalities.
- Lady Bellaston is immediately fascinated by him and must have him.
- Let battle commence.
- The situations Tom gets into are inherently comedic and heightened and other worldly.
- It celebrates youthful idealism, and young peoples' quest for adventure or romance or love.
- I confess to you that I love her with all my heart.
- At least his honor is now certainly lost.
- Fearfully romantic though.
- It's really about those two characters finding themselves.
- Love conquers all.